Website Choctaw Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Title Reporting To:
Nursing Home Administrator
Nursing Home Administrator
Job Purpose: Describes the general purpose of the job; why the job exists.
Provides effective and efficient secretarial and related service to the Hospital Administrator as well as to the Medical Staff.
The Incumbent handles details of a confidential nature and has a broad knowledge of institutional operations and policies. The incumbent has great latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
Accountabilities and Major Work Activities: The principle end results for which this job is held accountable
I. Promotes a positive image for the hospital and effectively communicates with Management, Medical Staff, Employees, Patients and Family Members.
* Acts as an advocate for the hospital and its Administrator.
* Interprets/explains policies and procedures for managers and staff.
* Interacts with Medical Staff when occasions demand.
* Greets everyone is a kind and courteous manner.
* Handles patient/family complaints in an appropriate manner, i.e. explaining policy, referring to President or to another manager, etc.
II. Coordinates appointments and meetings.
* Answers calls in a courteous manner. Schedules appointment/s meetings and keeps Hospital Administrator informed.
III. Maintains confidentiality of information.
* Maintains confidentiality of records/conversations/concerns, ever conscious of gossip.
IV. Assures transcription and mail are handled promptly and correctly and all letters and memoranda are filed.
* Transcribes all outgoing correspondence. Distributes correspondence in-house accordingly and files correspondence so that it is readily available when needed.
V. Assists in the revision of governing body bylaws.
* Reads and keeps abreast of DNV regulations and helps with revision of bylaws.
* Transcribes bylaws and distributes to Board members and other appropriate staff members/departments.
VI. Records, types and distributes minutes of all committee and board meetings.
* Obtains copies of all committee minutes and keeps on file for accrediting organizations. Types minutes when necessary.
* Transcribes minutes of all meetings and its committees and mails to members. Files and maintains permanent record of minutes.
* Transcribes and mails notices of meetings and includes any attachments.
VII. Receives, reviews, verifies and processes all medical staff applications.
* Reviews, verifies and processes applications and delineations as well as querying Data Bank
VIII. Institutes reappointment process.
* Complying with Bylaws and DNV standards in the reappointment process and querying Data Bank.
IX. Operates computer and credentialing software.
X. Promotes a professional image.
* Demonstrating a genuine commitment; supporting Departmental goals and objectives; maintaining DNV and Medicare standards; coordinating between different departments.
XII. Assures procedures and determines impact of changes. Communicates policy and procedure changes that impact inter- and intra-department sections.
* Analyzes changes made in other areas to determine their impact on Department operation; communicates changes to other areas to promote understanding.
XIII. Assures policies and procedures of the Hospital are executed.
* Reviewing Departmental policies to assure they complement Hospital goals.
XIV. Assists all practitioners with Medicare applications.
* Assists all practitioners with Medicare applications to assure Medicare application is correctly filled out and additional information is supplied to Medicare with application.
XV. Each employee is evaluated and records maintained on job specific duties and competency including disaster preparedness.
Minimum Level Qualifications
1) Business College graduate/secretarial degree.
2) In lieu of a degree, (5) years minimum of high level secretarial experience.
3) Incumbent is expected to learn new technologies and attend workshops to keep pace with changing work environments.
1) Previous secretarial experience reporting to a CEO or vice president.
2) Previous experience in dealing with public.
3) Dictaphone experience.
4 Computer experience.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration:
1) Able to sit for long periods of time.
2) Able to stand for long periods of time.
3) Able to reach top file cabinet drawers.
4) Able to life 20 lbs.
Skills and Qualifications:
1) Able to transcribe 65 wpm with accuracy.
2) Ability to use different software programs.
3) Ability to prioritize.
Other Special Characteristics:
1) Ability to communicate well with people in person or over the telephone and with written communication.
2) Ability to assess and react to situations.
3) Must be motivated and work independently.
4) Must be flexible with work schedule (attend night meetings).
5) Must be able to perform at a fast pace and/or stressful environment.
6) Ability to listen and maintain confidentiality.
Employee Signature – Date