Choctaw Regional Medical Center
Covid19 vaccination required for all applicants.
General Summary: Choctaw Regional Medical Center is looking for a compassionate and quick-thinking Emergency Department (ED) Nurse to join our emergency team. The successful incumbent will be responsible for managing initial patients’ assessments, performing laboratory work, point of care testing and associated administrative tasks. The Emergency Department (ED) Nurse will also collaborate with Emergency Department (ED) doctors on discharge plans and create outpatient instructions for each patient that has not been admitted to the hospital. It is the policy of Choctaw Regional Medical Center, that registered nurses that work in the Emergency Department will provide professional nursing care within the emergency department.
- Coordinate care with different disciplines, and provide care that reflects initiative, flexibility, and responsibility indicative of professional expectations with a minimum of supervision.
- Triage safely, rapidly, and accurately, every patient that enters the emergency care system.
- Determine priorities of care based on physical and psychosocial needs, as well as factors influencing patient flow through the system.
- Communicate with emergency department (ED) physicians about changes in patient’s status, symptomatology, and results of diagnostic studies.
- Able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
- Be familiar with all equipment in the emergency department (ED).
- Check narcotics each shift, sign narcotic record, carry narcotic keys.
- Take incoming calls form physicians’ offices with specific orders to outpatients coming to the emergency department.
- Responsible for overseeing unit.
- Complete and sign any requisition for repair of equipment.
- Check supplies and fill out a Supply Requisition if needed.
- Answer ambulance communication ratio.
- Responsible for supervision of the inventory of patient valuables and making sure they accompany the patient upon disposition.
- Complete emergency department (ED) Registration Log for all patients seen (except outpatients).
- Check cash cars for medicines and supplies, test defibrillator and record at the beginning of each shift.
- Be courteous with patients and their families/visitors.
- Always promote and practice safety measures.
- All nursing staff in the Emergency Department must have a valid license, in the state of Mississippi, to practice.
- Nursing staff must also have updated Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), and Basic Life Support (BLS) within three months of beginning employment.
- Nurses working in the emergency department (ED) are Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum (TNCC) certified within eighteen months of beginning employment if the department.
- Nurses in the Emergency Department are to practice within their scope of practice as defined by the Mississippi Board of Nursing, Nurses practicing outside of their scope of practice will face consequences deemed by the Mississippi Board of Nursing.
- Standing, walking, sitting, bending for extended periods for time.
- Reaching w/arms, finger, and hand dexterity.
- Talking, hearing, seeing, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling.
- Light work: lifting 20 lbs. Max.
- Medium work: lifting 50 lbs. Max.
- Heavy work: lifting 100 lbs. Max
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- It is the policy of Choctaw Regional Medical Center to provide quality standards of care in accordance with federal, state, and accrediting agencies.
- Strong organizational and people skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, be attentive to detail, and maintain a pleasant outlook.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial and legal information.
NOTE: This job description is an overall statement of major accountabilities and duties performed by incumbents in this position. The incumbent may be required to perform other position-related duties other than those described in this description.