covid19 vaccine required for all applicants
$4000 sign on bonus
Job Purpose: This position assists the nursing staff in rendering basic nursing care to assigned patients. The incumbent provides direct and indirect care following physician and nursing orders. Provides patient care/services for all stages of the lifespan including pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatrics.
Accountabilities and Major Work Activities:
I. Practices in accordance with hospital philosophy and the Department of Nursing philosophies, goals, and standards of care; and other regulatory agency standards.
• Demonstrates commitment to philosophies, goals and standards of care.
• Demonstrates acceptable standards of personal conduct and behavior.
II. Performs basic patient care according to hospital policies and procedures.
• Obtains information regarding assignment from patient care, care plans and in collaboration with the nursing staff.
• Provides personal care such as bathing, linen changes, mouth care, skin care and other related activities.
• Ensures routine treatments/procedures and vital signs are completed and recorded.
• Demonstrates teamwork to ensure promptness or promote quality of care.
• Completes procedures for admissions, transfers, discharges, expirations, and pre and post operative care.
• Demonstrates proper technique when turning and positioning, transferring and ambulating patients.
• Assists with nutritional needs by preparing patients for meals, assisting/feeding, distributing snacks and recording intake and output.
• Assists with elimination needs by offering bedpans/urinals, keeping incontinent patients clean and dry and collection of tests/specimens as ordered.
• Completes errands in a timely manner.
• Documents in appropriate nursing records.
III. Provides a secure and safe patient environment by following policies, procedures and standards of care.
• Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment.
• Helps maintain patient safety by keeping side-rails up, call bells in reach and providing other safety practices as indicated.
• Follows policy and procedures related to patient restraints.
Accountabilities and Major Work Activities: (Continued)
• Demonstrates knowledge of infection control as related to handwashing and standard precautions.
• Assures that patient beds are labeled and patient identification bands are in place.
• Responds appropriately to emergency situations.
IV. Assists the nursing staff in providing a caring, compassionate environment.
• Respects patient confidentiality and privacy in accordance with HIPAA.
• Demonstrates effective communication skills to treat patients/others with dignity and respect.
• Communicates procedural information to patient/significant others in a way that emotionally supports.
• Using proper channels of communication identifies and reports significant patient information.
• Contributes to patient satisfaction by making customers the first priority.
V. Demonstrates responsibility for personal and unit development by participation in unit/hospital activities.
• Actively participates in unit staff meetings and/or teams, assisting in goal formulation, planning, and unit quality improvement activities.
• Assumes responsibility for staying informed about updates and changes to policies by attendance at staff meetings.
VI. Maintains job-specific competency which addresses effective, safe use of equipment, disaster preparedness training, infection control, emergency lifesaving procedures (CPR), and patient information management.
• Completes competency checklist annually or more often as required by department/unit policy.
• Completes self-evaluation and Continuing Education Record in an ongoing manner annually.
VII. Demonstrates age/developmentally appropriate patient care in accordance with Age-Specific Care Guidelines for the specific age groups served.
• Demonstrating knowledge of age-specific patient care factors in the Age-Specific Care Guidelines.
• Provides for patient safety, hygiene and personal care with regard to age-specific needs.
• Communicating information and conveying patient needs sensitive to age and developmental level of the individual patient/family.
• Maintaining competence related to age-specific care.
• Demonstrates competency in clinical knowledge/skills and communication to the age of the patients served.
This Job Description is an overall statement of major accountabilities and duties performed by incumbents in this position. The incumbent may be requested to perform other position-related duties other than those described in this description.
Minimum Level Qualifications
High School diploma or GED preferred
Completion of approved Nurse Assistant Certification Course.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration:
Listed with the State Division of Facility Services as a Level I Nurse Aide.
Current Nurse Aide Certification.
Certification in CPR or must obtain within 3 months of hire.
Skills and Qualifications:
Ability to provide direct and indirect patient care.
Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and communication skills, (verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills).
Other Special Characteristics:
Works in a continually changing work environment.
May be required to work unusual or additional shift hours.
Works in a continually changing environment.